Large (over 2,000sqm)
1. University of Hull, Brynmor Jones Library
2. The Hive, University of Worcester
3. Maynooth University Library
4. Wellcome Library and the Reading Room
Small (under 2,000sqm)
1. Heritage Quay, University of Huddersfield
2. Teesside University Library
3. UCL Cruciform Hub
The judging panel received many excellent submissions, but these were deemed to best meet the criteria around strategic alignment, design and transformation. Visits will take place in the spring, allowing judges to see how the libraries function when full of activity.
The winner in each category will be announced at the 2016 Design Awards Showcase, to take place on Thursday 1 December in London.
The SCONUL Library Design Awards have been running since 1973 and are made every three years. The aim is to encourage good practice in library planning and design and to celebrate outstanding examples of cutting-edge design. Awards are given on the basis of the functional design of buildings rather than purely architectural merit.